Greenworks Tools, the leader in lithium-ion battery-powered outdoor equipment for DIY-consumers and landscape professionals, is leading a revolution in the outdoor power equipment (OPE) category as lithium-ion products overtake equivalent gas-powered leaf blowers, lawn mowers and chain saws. Greenworks Tools aimed to dramatically shift attitudes and buing habits across distinctly different OPE category-segments - all of which had been devoted to gas-powered lawn and landscape gear for decades.
The Client’s Goal
- Educate consumers, landscape professionals and municipal/institutional end-users about lithium-ion product attributes/advantages in deliberate, head-to-head comparison with gas-powered gear.
- Position Greenworks as the experts in battery-powered OPE.
- Create early-adoption with category influencers.
- Support retail distribution with tailored messaging to fit Greenworks product segmentation.
- Use statistical analysis and trend data to demonstrate the “tsunami” shift in category dynamics, away from gas to battery-powered gear.
- Introduce Greenworks Tools to all levels of relevant lifestyle, business, outdoor and gear media using proactive editorial outreach complemented by robust product sampling to get Greenworks products into the hands of key media “influencers.”
- Create sponsored content campaigns to ensure “controlled” emphases in driving home battery vs. gas messaging.
- Leverage nation-wide regulatory “codes” that ban gas-powered equipment to validate lithium-ion trial.
- Target high-level national media through face-to-face deskside interactions.
- Maximize ROI of existing brand commitments (trade shows, endorsers, etc.).
- Secured over 750 million editorial impressions.
- Earned a total of 3590 editorial media hits, comprised of product spotlights & reviews, brand & category-focused coverage and business-related stories.
- JDPR delivered a 21:1 return-on-investment (based on ad rate values in proportion to budgeted PR fees).